Mill Creek Hunt Club
Foxhunting Tradition Lives On
The Mill Creek Hunt Club’s proud, nearly 120-year existence began in 1897, with the formation of the Onwentsia Club in Lake Forest, Illinois. Originally started as a "paper chase," the club turned into a "drag" hunt around 1904. The club adopted its current moniker upon a move to Milburn, Illinois in 1930.
Mill Creek prides itself on the architecture of the buildings that make up its Milburn home. Past members included the famous architect David Adler and his wife Katherine. Adler’s skill in interpreting classical design and symmetry is evident in the design of the hunt club’s buildings, as he designed and constructed the stables, main house, and kennels.
Just 40 miles north of Chicago, Mill Creek still follows hounds over much of the same country it started with nearly 85 years ago. The country is made up of over seven thousand acres of rolling, wooded farmland divided by creeks. Coops, log fences and posts and rails dot the countryside. The club is fortunate to have major landowners who still allow members to indulge in their passion.